Counseling services are offered to GCMS students at no cost. Our goal is to provide academic, social emotional, career and college support to the students through individual and small group counseling, relationship building clubs and activities, and celebrating achievements. Please submit the GCMS Counseling Request Form or contact the School Counselor if you have questions, would like to discuss concerns regarding your child, or if your child would benefit from small group, lunch bunch, or meeting with the counselor on an individual basis.
Professional school counselors in our district believe:
- Everyone will be treated with dignity and respect.
- Students will reach their full potential within the domains of: academic, social/emotional, and college and career readiness.
- Data will be analyzed and translated into goals that guide the development of a comprehensive, student-centered school-counseling program.
- Effective collaboration between all stakeholders is essential to providing a positive learning environment.
- Professional school counselors will adhere to the ACA and ASCA Ethical Standards for Professional School Counselors.
- Diverse backgrounds, values, cultures and perspectives enrich our school system.
- All students are lifelong learners.
- Learning styles are embraced by providing a safe and positive learning environment.
- Professional school counselors are leaders, advocates and facilitators of systemic change.
- Students’ learning is enhanced by participation in a comprehensive school counseling program that is planned, managed, implemented, and evaluated by the professional school counselor.
- Students will be equipped to problem solve in the 21st century.
Counselor Mission Statement
The mission of the counseling program at Gypsum Creek Middle School is to provide a comprehensive and preventative program addressing academic success, career awareness, and social emotional resiliency for all students. In collaboration with students, parents, educators, and community resources, the counselors foster a safe and supportive environment in which all students may acquire the knowledge, attitudes and global readiness skills necessary to become compassionate and productive members of society.
Counselors Vision Statement
The vision of Gypsum Creek Middle School's counseling program is that every student realizes their true value and worth, and reaches their full potential. They are meaningful and productive members of society. They are considerate, compassionate, an empathetic citizens who work to provide a culture of continuous improvement by insuring equity for all. They acknowledge and value differences and encourage positive interactions between members of a diverse community. They are life-long learners who demonstrate resiliency and strive for greatness. They are critical thinkers as they navigate the complexities of home, career and community.
Ms. Greene is a Licensed School Counselor and a National Certified Counselor. She has experience counseling children, adolescents and young adults, and has worked in K-12 and university settings both in the United States and abroad.
Ms. Greene enjoys working with youth especially in the area of career exploration and she has experience working with YouthPower365 in their after school programs at GCMS. Her work has also included facilitating staff professional development on Cultural Competency in the Classroom, Mindfulness & Guided Meditations and Classroom Interventions. She graduated from Emporia State University with a BA in Communication, Public Relations, worked in international education and college recruitment prior to returning to graduate school at Emporia State University, where she received a Masters degree in School Counseling.
She is the GCMS Student Council advisor and enjoys photography and book clubs.